Monday, April 05, 2004

“I asked….do you feel me? And the crowd left me stranded.”
- Talib Kweli

I had a craving for those bomb chicken wings this weekend so I found myself waiting in line behind this young brother. I’d say he was about 20 or 21. From the way he ordered his steakbomb, I could tell he was from around my way. He was talking to his boy behind the grill and explaining why he hadn’t been around lately. Slapping the counter he said, “I’ve been working mad hours, yo. I’m sayin’…I was just hanging out, gettin’ into bullsh*t so I figured that if there was an extra shift I’d take it…If someone called out I’d come in. I’ve been workin’ like a b*tch, but I clocked like 12 hundred last month.” Now, I’m standing there, looking at the back of this cat’s braids like, “Damn…when I was 21 my biggest ambition was finding things I could mix into Ramen noodles to make ‘em taste like Lo Mein.” I admit, I was impressed….until he reached into his hoodie said, “Yeah, I just copped this wit it.” His boy’s eyes sparkled like the new iced “L” medallion and he shouted, “Daaaaaaamn!!…I’m pickin’ up some extra hours, son.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home